On June 23rd 2012 my life changed forever. A normal incident in a normal game of Aussie rules football left me with C5-C6 quadriplegia. In an instant I went from a 23 year old who never sat still, to spending 8 months in hospital and looking at the prospect of spending my life in a wheelchair. Before the incident I played any sport and would be up for any outdoor activity and even quit a commerce degree at the thought of sitting down to work all day. Things have definitely changed for me.
Until recently, my family and I had no idea about spinal cord injuries. This is why I want to share my experiences of living with a spinal cord injury and the difficulties that come with it.
The support I have received from family, friends and even people I haven’t met has been unbelievable, I just want to show you all what you have helped me achieve and that I’m going to live a normal and happy life, even if it is in a chair. Beau Vernon November 2012
Beau Vernon December 2018
- Current Motivational Speaker.
- Current Director of Interact Australia.
- Current Senior Coach of Phillip Island Football Netball Club. (Coached Leongatha for 3 years, 3 Grand Finals and 1 Premiership. Coached Phillip Island for 1 year and 1 Premiership).
- Current Ambassador for wings for life world run.
- Currently Studying Positive Psychology.
- Pride of Australia Medal Holder.
- Finished a business degree at RMIT University.
- Husband and Father of two little legends.
- Actively Involved in Sport. Surfer, Kayaker, Cardio (boxing, weights, interval training), Hand Cycling (2016 National Champion), darts, table tennis, golf.
- Despite being in a wheelchair, I love life, and definitely still don’t sit still.
- I want to be an advocate to show that people with a disability are as much apart of society as anyone else and that we should raise the bar on what can be achieved.
- To have a positive influence on people
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Sport – Particularly AFL
- Training the Brain
- Mental Health and why some people prosper
- Inclusion and Disability Awareness
- Health and Fitness
- Family and Friends
- Work Life balance
- Achieving Things
- Stepping Outside of my comfort zone and living the best life I can.